Emergency/Weather Closing Information
During the school year, there are times when school may be closed. In most cases, school closures are the result of weather-related conditions. Safety is a priority for all of our students and families. Decisions regarding school closures or change of school start time will be based on the overall conditions of the entire District. The Superintendent is responsible for the decision as to when school will be closed due to inclement weather or emergencies. Parents and guardians make the ultimate decision to keep their children home during inclement weather. Those who choose not to send their children to school are asked to contact the Attendance Office to have the student's absence recorded as excused.
Unless an announcement is made that school is closed, families must assume that school will be in session. Only closings or adjusted schedules (late start, early dismissal) will be announced.
If a decision is made to delay the start of school, buses will run one hour late.
Guidelines for School Closures
During periods of inclement weather or in emergency situations, the safety and welfare of our students and staff is our first priority. At the same time, to avoid disruption to learning and schedules, we make every effort to keep the school open. Here are the primary factors considered when making the decision to close school:
- The safety and well-being of students and staff
- The severity of the weather (wind chill, heavy snow, etc.)
- Time of the weather events
- The ability of buses and cars to travel safely
- The operable condition of our buildings
Making the Decision
The Superintendent determines when and if conditions warrant the cancellation of school. The decision is made in collaboration with the District administration, transportation staff, other area superintendents and city departments. The National Weather Service (www.weather.gov) will be the primary meteorological source to determine and declare weather conditions such as snow forecasts, wind-chill advisories or wind-chill warnings.
Notification to Families
School closure decisions will normally be made by 5:30 a.m. on the day of closure. If conditions are known with a high degree of certainty and warrant closure, decisions will only be made the night before, generally by 8:00 p.m.
In the event of a school closing or other emergency, families can expect to be notified in the following manner:
- District 205 website, lths.org
- District 205 automated telephone, email, and text alert systems
- District 205 social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram - @LockportHS205
Emergency and closing information is also available through the following sources:
- WGN’s Emergency School Closing Website: emergencyclosing.com
- Local radio stations: WJOL (1340-AM), WSSR (96.7-FM), WRXQ (100.7-FM), and WCCQ (98.3-FM).
- Chicago radio and television stations: WGN (720-AM), WBBM (780-AM), CBS (Channel 2), NBC (Channel 5), ABC (Channel 7), FOX (Channel 32), WGN (Channel 9).
After-School Activities and Athletic Events
The following are general guidelines pertaining to after-school activities and athletic events for school closings:
- All after-school activities and field trips will be canceled unless specifically announced.
- All athletic events and practices will be canceled unless specifically announced.
- Non-District events that have event contracts to use District facilities will be canceled unless specifically announced.
See the School Calendar for scheduled emergency days.